Search Stuff...

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A life that won't cash out...

Alright, the past few posts I've made have hit the older generation in the church relatively hard, so it's time for one that hits my generation where it hurts, our craving for worldly things. My generation has lost all hope in the church, or at least the church they know. What they've grown up with was a group of people who come together on Sunday and are nice and polite, and then talk garbage about each other the rest of the time. So, if the shining bastion of hope isn't so golden anymore, where do you turn? Obviously somewhere else, my generation has turned to sex, drugs, and fame. The only one that is really new to my generation is fame. Never before has fame been so attainable, or at least that's what people think. We crave things of the world because, we see no difference between the fake crap coming from the church and the fake crap coming from the world


Even kids in the youth group have lost their true passion for impacting the world for Christ, or else they never had it. We yearn for entertainment at every thing we do. So, if the youth pastor talks for too long about something important...it's texting time. Unless someone is eating a disgusting food or a funny story is being told....I'm outta here. As someone who's interacted with students in another country, my peers make me sad...I make myself sad. I lose focus, I'm saturated in Christ at minimum 3 times a day and I still slip...the kids in Vietnam...may have never heard of Jesus before...I can't read my Bible because I need to watch Chuck...they've never seen a Bible. My generation has turned our face on God, part of the blame needs to fall on our shoulders, but the church is partially to blame. In a generation that cries out for something real in the darkness, the church responds with party games and camps.


Short and sweet, how can we fix it...once again, these are my flawed human ideas...even more flawed as a teen. So, leave a comment if you think of another one.


# 1: The church has to get real - Telling us what we want to hear is not always the best option. The hard truth is what my generation needs to hear. We may scoff and think you're an idiot, but I guarantee I'll be thinking about what you said when I'm trying to sleep tonight.


# 2: Youth Group needs to be less of a spectacle and more of EPIC LIFE CHANGER - To much to ask? Maybe, but God calls us no matter our age to make a difference in the world. We need to spend less time at camps and more time in the mission field. I'm not saying camps and retreats are a bad thing, they're great for building unity and teaching important lessons, but when they become the focus, there's a problem.


# 3: Build real relationships with Youth - OMG NO WAY! Talk to them, albeit we look weird, talk weird, and will probably be completely weirded out by you talking to us. Building a relationship is the first step in solidifying a youth's trust...obviously...that was a dumb statement.


# 4: Some people don't need to be youth ministers, they need to be DJs - I get that you want to have a huge youth group and the quickest way to do that is to have an entertainer, but that's not how you turn your kids into disciples. Get someone who is willing to invest in the youth and is dedicated to preaching the real deal, not fluff n' stuff. The rest of you, go get a job as a morning radio host or a clown...your call.


# 5: Show us how fake what we pursue is - Pretty simple, tell us how our worldly garbage is just that, garbage. Then show us how God has called us to something higher, something that may be harder, but is so worth it.


# 6: Do work son - Again with the do work stuff. It's a big deal, faith without works is pretty lame. Getting into the nitty gritty will change a youth's perspective. It did mine.




Wow, I only misspelled like 13 words in this whole thing...I'm impressed.


- David

No comments:

Post a Comment